Recent News // Recent News: Connect Iowa Releases Report on Expanding Access to Healthcare through Broadband
Report finds Nearly Half of Iowans go Online to Access e-Health Applications
Des Moines, IA – Today, Connect Iowa is releasing a new report focusing on the invaluable health resources broadband is providing to residents across the state. The report, Broadband: Expanding Access to Healthcare in Iowa, reveals the growing importance of the Internet in connecting Iowans to vital health information while helping keep state healthcare costs down.
Here are some highlights of the report:
- More than two out of five Iowans (44%) go online to access e-Health applications
- 6% of Iowans use smartphones to access e-Health applications
- Approximately 91,000 rural Iowans with disabilities are using e-Health tools to stay connected to their doctors and access the latest medical information
- More than half a million Iowans age 55 and older, many of who could benefit from easier access to physicians and diagnostic tools, still do not use e-Health applications
- Approximately 1,000 healthcare businesses in Iowa do not use computers and an additional 1,000 healthcare businesses operate without broadband service
“This report makes it clear that broadband is becoming more and more critical to ensuring that Iowans have access to life-enhancing and potentially life-saving information and resources,” says Connect Iowa Program Manager Amy Kuhlers. “Not only does e-health allow rural Iowans services they previously have been without, a 2008 study estimated that broadband saves Iowans approximately $6.6 million in healthcare costs each year, and that amount is growing.”
Connect Iowa is actively working to bridge the technology gap among all Iowans to ensure everyone has access to the benefits that broadband provides. Anyone with an interest in bringing better broadband to local homes and businesses is encouraged to join in the Connect Iowa community planning effort. For more information on how to get involved, please contact Amy Kuhlers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (515) 421-2561.
# # #
About Connect Iowa: Connect Iowa is a subsidiary of Connected Nation and operates as a nonprofit in the state of Iowa to promote broadband access, adoption, and use. The Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) is leading the initiative to increase broadband Internet access throughout rural Iowa. Connect Iowa was commissioned by the state to work with all broadband providers in Iowa to create detailed maps of broadband coverage and develop a statewide plan for the deployment and adoption of broadband. For more information visit: www.connectiowa.org.